Family Matters: Strong Communities. Strong Culture. Stronger Children is Australia’s national campaign to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people grow up safe and cared for in family, community and culture.
Family Matters aims to eliminate the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care by 2040.
Family Matters is led by SNAICC – National Voice for our Children and is supported by a Strategic Alliance of over 150 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous organisations, leading academics and prominent educational institutions.
Family Matters is governed by an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership Group, ensuring the campaign has the authenticity and the range of skills required to truly effect change.
Family Matters National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership Group members
Our Family Matters Chair
Sue-Anne Hunter, National Sector Development Manager, SNAICC
Family Matters National Leadership Group members
- Barbara Henry, Director, Noongar Family Safety and Wellbeing Council
- Gerald Featherstone, CEO, Kummara Association
- Jacynta Krakouer, PhD researcher, Social Work, University of Melbourne
- Jenny Brown, National Manager, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Engagement and Wellbeing, Red Cross
- Jeffrey Chesters, President, Kulila Indigenous Kindergarten
- Joanne Della Bona, CEO, Coolabaroo Neighbourhood Centre
- Joanne Else, Family Matters SA Lead; Child and Family Focus SA
- Karl Williamson, Manager, Regional Implementation and Engagement, AbSec – NSW Child, Family and Community Peak Aboriginal Corp Project
- Kathleen Pinkerton, Chair, Yorganop Association Inc
- Maureen O’Meara, CEO Aarnja Ltd; Family Matters WA
- Michael Currie, Co Chair, Family Matters Queensland; Principal Advisor, The Benevolent Society
- Muriel Bamblett, SNAICC Chair and CEO of VACCA
- Paul Gray, Jumbunna Institute, University of Technology Sydney
- Toni Janke, Manager, Culture and Inclusion, Centacare Family and Relationship Services