Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in South Australia are 10.8 times more likely to be removed from their families by child protection services than non-Indigenous children. This is higher than the national average of 9.7 times.
Meeting the Family Matters Building Blocks
The Family Matters Report 2020 shows that South Australia, in comparison with other states and territories, has:
- the second highest Aboriginal entry to out-of-home care rate
- the second lowest proportion of expenditure on family
support services (8.7%)
- placement of Aboriginal children with Aboriginal carers below the national average (38.9%)
- low reunification of Aboriginal children (11.1%)
- no dedicated Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peak body for children and families
- a target to increase ACCO expenditure to 7% by 2022, with community voices noting positive recent work to develop Aboriginal co-design criteria and trauma responsive early intervention consulting with ACCOs.
On another positive note, South Australia has a Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People, but there are concerns that the role and powers of the Aboriginal commissioner are not equivalent to the principal children’s commissioner in the state.
See the 2020 community response to how South Australia is fairing.
See the 2019 local community’s response to how South Australia is fairing.
See the 2018 South Australian Government’s response to Family Matters.
See the 2018 local community’s response to how South Australia is fairing.
See the 2017 South Australian Government’s response to Family Matters.
Who’s with us in South Australia?
Over 150 organisations, politicians, commissioners and guardians from across Australia have signed the Family Matters Statement of Commitment, signalling their intent to work in accordance with key principles of the campaign.
Visit our Who’s With Us? page to view everyone who has signed the Statement of Commitment in South Australia.
Join us to ensure you’re playing your part in standing up for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
Joanne Else, Family Matters South Australia Lead
(08) 8305 4213
Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement (ALRM)
1800 643 222
Department for Child Protection, South Australia
(08) 8124 4185
Child Care Access Hotline
1800 670 305
Playgroup South Australia
1800 171 882
For further contacts and FAQs specific to South Australia, please download the South Australia Community Resource Guide.