Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in Victoria are 15.8 times more likely to be removed from their families by child protection services than non-Indigenous children, the second highest rate across all states and territories, and significantly higher than the national average of 10.1 times.
Meeting the Family Matters Building Blocks
The Family Matters Report 2018 shows that Victoria, in comparison with other states and territories:
- is the first state to appoint a dedicated Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children’s Commissioner
- has high accountability and collaborative work with ACCOs through the Aboriginal Children’s Forum and the Wungurilwil Gapgapduir agreement
- has a commitment to transfer out-of-home care case management to ACCOs with a 100% target by 202
- has relatively high placement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander carers (48.3%).
However, Victoria also has:
- the second highest rate of over-representation in out-of-home care, well above the national average
- a concerning high rate of non-Indigenous kin placements
- the lowest rate of Aboriginal children commencing intensive family support.
See the 2018 Victorian Government’s response to Family Matters.
See the 2018 local community’s response to how Victoria is fairing.
See the 2017 Victorian Government’s response to Family Matters.
Who’s with us in Victoria?
Over 150 organisations, politicians, commissioners and guardians from across Australia have signed the Family Matters Statement of Commitment, signalling their intent to work in accordance with key principles of the campaign.
Visit our Who’s with us? page to view everyone who has signed the Statement of Commitment from Victoria.
Join us to ensure you’re playing your part in standing up for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA)
(03) 9287 8800
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
1800 064 865
Child FIRST (integrated referral service)
1800 171 882
For further contacts and FAQs specific to Victoria, please download the Family Matters Victoria Community Resource 2019