Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in Victoria are 16.4 times more likely to be removed from their families by child protection services than non-Indigenous children, the second highest rate across all states and territories, and significantly higher than the national average of 10.2 times.
Meeting the Family Matters Building Blocks
The Family Matters Report 2019 shows that Victoria, in comparison with other states and territories:
- commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People who leads systemic inquiries
- has high accountability and collaborative work with ACCOs through the Aboriginal Children’s Forum and the Wungurilwil Gapgapduir agreement
- 46 per cent Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children’s out-of-home care cases managed by ACCOs – a 250 per cent increase since 2017
- highest and increasing placement with kin and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander carers (78%).
However, Victoria also has:
- the second highest rate of over-representation in out-of-home care, well above the national average
- second highest rate of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children on permanent care orders
- the lowest rate of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children commencing intensive family support.
See the 2019 local community’s response to how Victoria is fairing.
See the 2018 Victorian Government’s response to Family Matters.
See the 2018 local community’s response to how Victoria is fairing.
See the 2017 Victorian Government’s response to Family Matters.
Who’s with us in Victoria?
Over 150 organisations, politicians, commissioners and guardians from across Australia have signed the Family Matters Statement of Commitment, signalling their intent to work in accordance with key principles of the campaign.
Visit our Who’s with us? page to view everyone who has signed the Statement of Commitment from Victoria.
Join us to ensure you’re playing your part in standing up for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA)
(03) 9287 8800
Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
1800 064 865
Child FIRST (integrated referral service)
1800 171 882
For further contacts and FAQs specific to Victoria, please download the Family Matters Victoria Community Resource 2019