For one week each year, the Family Matters National Week of Action relies on you, our supporters and organisational members of the Family Matters Strategic Alliance, to build public awareness and political commitment for our campaign to make sure all our children grow up strong in family, culture, and community.
Our next Family Matters National Week of Action runs from Sunday 9 to Saturday 15 May 2021
This year’s Family Matters National Week of Action carries the theme ‘Our Mobs Matter’.
Our week of campaigning will feature a series of online events with a great lineup of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander child and family practitioners from around the continent, on the following areas:
- Practical ways to connect children with culture, families and community.
- Why we need a National Commissioner for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people.
- The rights of unborn children and their families.
- Building your practice skills through the Family Matters Reflective Practice tool and the Aboriginal Child Placement Principle.
- Community empowerment and human rights lie at the heart of the Family Matters campaign Together with community leaders and communities, we will drive local change, inform and empower families and call on Governments to act.
Details on these events will be announced shortly.
You can register your own events on this website, and if you’re on social media, please use and follow the hashtag #OurMobsMatter. Also keep an eye out for the Family Matters National Leadership Group members on @IndigenousX on Twitter, from Thursday 6 May to Thursday 13 May.
Community empowerment and human rights lie at the heart of the Family Matters campaign. Together with community leaders and communities, we will drive local change, inform and empower families and call on Governments to act.
Keep checking this page for the latest updates on National Week of Action in 2021 and how you can get involved.
Find out more about what you can do and use our resources below to take action
What you can do
As a Family Matters supporter, we are calling on your organisation to further support Family Matters by hosting an event and promoting the National Week of Action via your organisation’s website, social media and other communications channels.
Hold an event in your workplace, engage your supporters, members and staff in discussions about the escalating number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children being removed from their family, and the power you have to influence change.